Sunday, October 9, 2011

Patterns With a Following

I have steered clear of most commercial patterns for clothing for some years now, after my earlier attempts were not so successful. Of course part of this was no doubt my inexperience, however, the taste left was so bitter, I've turned away and not looked back. Instead, I've had the opportunity to grow my own skills in pattern drafting. I've been happy with the results usually, though more effort is needed to get a finished garment. Being a busy mom, I don't always have the time to make my own patterns, and at times like these, I am very grateful that there are quality pattern companies out there that make easy,  understandable, and beautiful patterns.

I'm going to take the plunge and try out Colette Patterns, like every other sewing lady out there. They have almost a cult following. Most blogging sewists I've seen have not done just one pattern, but several, and often the same pattern several times over again! These patterns get rave reviews. Just by reading on the company's blog, I've learned sewing tips that I had not known before. Reading it reminds me how much there is still for me to learn in the art of pattern drafting and couture garment sewing. I'm willing to keep trying, but until I'm able to draft all my own patterns, I'm sure glad I've found Colette Patterns to make my life a whole lot easier!

The first (and only) pattern I own from CP is the lovely Crepe, which is a cool twist on the ever-popular wrap dress. Instead of wrapping in the front, it wraps in the back.

The next pattern I am planning to try is the Jasmine. To be honest, when I first saw it, I wasn't inclined to really think it would be a pattern I'd like to make. But then, I saw this version that Sarai (owner and artist behind Colette Patterns) made for herself, and I was sold almost instantly.

Ok, so ends my discussion on Colette Patterns. Thank you for hanging around (if you did!)

~Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment